Oriental Magret de Canard (Duck Breast)
Eduard Xatruch – Compartir Restaurant, Cadaqués, Catalonia.
This is a dish with many subtle tastes and special touches, like shichimi or miso, to bring the dish to life. These have been finished off with sesame oil CAVIAROLI, bringing to the dish one of the oriental flavours par excellence in a way that won’t overpower the dish’s tastes.
5g dried Kombu seaweed
15g dried bonito flakes
50g gan jang (Korean soy sauce)
20g lemon juice
0.3g xanthan gum
75g ginger and garlic oil
- Bring together the water and Kombu seaweed in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Take off the heat and leave to infuse for 5 minutes.
- Take out the seaweed, bring to the boil, add the dried bonito flakes and leave to infuse for 10 minutes.
- Strain and add the Korean soy sauce and lemon juice to the resulting broth.
- Add the xanthan gum and mix with an electric whisk until there are no more lumps.
- Add the ginger and garlic oil without mixing, resulting in a separated sauce.
20g dehydrated wood ear mushrooms
50g bean sprouts
2 spring onions
- Soak the wood ear mushrooms in water for 24 hours in the fridge.
- Drain and cut into 12 pieces of mushroom of around 6cm.
- Wash the bean sprouts from the root and keep in the fridge.
- Peel and cut the spring onions into very fine slices in the mandoline. Keep in a container with water and ice in the fridge for 3 hours.
- Season the duck breast and cook in a hot frying pan, first on the fatty side then, when this side is golden, turn over and cook for 3 more minutes. Take off the heat, wrap in foil and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat up the oriental sauce, being careful not to mix it.
- Heat the drained soaked wood ear mushrooms with some sauce for 2 minutes. Off the heat, add the beansprouts and drained spring onion slices to the mushrooms and sauce.
- Slice the duck breast into thin slices of around 0.3cm and place them, overlapping, onto a plate.
- Add the oriental sauce to the duck and place 3 bouquets of the wood ear mushroom, beansprout and onion salad on top. On each bouquet, place 2 chives and 1 piece of shiso green cress.
- Finish off the dish with 5 dashes of miso, shichimi togarashi and sesame oil CAVIAROLI.